Saturday, September 26, 2015

Kathryn's Amazing White Clam Sauce (for pasta)

My mom made this once in a while during my childhood. I don't know where she found the recipe; I have never seen a similar one anywhere. All I can say is, she never made it often enough! It is that amazingly good. This goes back way before microwave ovens, so we melted the cream cheese in a pot over low heat on the stove. Nowadays, the microwave can make it even faster and easier. 

8 ounces cream cheese
1-2 cans clams depending on how thick you want it (my mom just used one, a neighbor liked it better with two)
1 pinch basil

Melt the cream cheese, slowly add clam juice and stir until smooth, add clams and basil and heat gently.  Serve over your choice of low carb pasta substitutes. 

I recently discovered kelp noodles, and want to try this on them some time soon. When I know more about them, I will post here. So far I believe they soften nicely if simmered in a liquid. They have literally no flavor, so they will take on whatever flavor they are simmered in or otherwise exposed to. I'm thinking that simmering the kelp noodles in clam juice might be just the ticket for this dish. 


I have, at times, added sautéed onion or other veggies to the sauce, but they are completely unnecessary.  I also think this has potential as a really unusual dip. 

2 comments:

  1. I just discovered there is such a thing as clam base! I think that could give a richer clam flavor to this. I'll let you know when I try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete