Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Simple Low Carb Cream Sauce For Meat or Vegetables

I invented this yesterday as a spur-of-the-moment problem solver. I had some leftover roast beef that I feared would dry out upon reheating. I used what I had on hand to make this sauce as a "food lube." It turned out to be quite good. I'm recording it here so I don't forget it! This is roughly what I did. Of course, I didn't measure. I wish I had.

2T. butter
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 pint heavy cream
2 t. beef base (my guess)
Paula Deen's House Seasoning to taste
About 1/2 t. low carb thickener powder

Melt the butter in a small saucepan on medium-high heat. Add the onion and reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir for a few minutes. Add the cream and the beef base. Bring to a boil and simmer a while to reduce a bit. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add low carb thickener powder and stir to remove any lumps that might form. Heat a few more minutes until it thickens, and serve. It didn't get very thick, but it was thick enough to do the job and taste divine.

Note: This is a basic recipe you could ada[t in many ways. Add herbs. Use chicken or another base. Add minced garlic, or sliced mushrooms.

I tried this also on my steamed green beans, and it was a nice combination. It's also a pleasant way to increase your fat intake for the day, if you think you need to.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the best recipe. After following the steps of your recipe I made a delicious food. I used beef base instead of chicken base and it's taste was amazing. Must Try!

    ReplyDelete